Another cog in the wheel known as the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy to combat the Extreme Left-Wing Media.

Friday, October 14, 2005

What makes someone a racist?

In responding to a caller to his radio show who claimed that if we didn't have abortion we would have more people paying into social security, Bill Bennett in knocking down that line of argument used the opposite side of the coin and said you could lower crime rate if all black babies were aborted. He immediately disavowed that idea as morally reprehensible and went on to explain that abortion should be opposed purely on its own. Everyone knows what happened next. He was denounced as a racist by a bunch of people who refused to hear a word he said except the one sentence. Bennett gave a speech where he defended himself from those charges. The key paragraph to me was this one:
All of this work means nothing to those critics. Because when I broached the sensitive topics of abortion, race, and crime, my comments became the subject of dishonest and selective editing, in order not to further a conversation, but to stop one – to put a hit on me, to take me out. Well, I’m not going. They’ve tried before. That’s not the point.
Since the 1960's I believe race relations have improved dramatically on an individual basis. However, societally relations have regressed to the point where any mention of race end a conversation rather than advancing the conversation. Most people are afraid of openly discussing matter which involve race for fear of being branded a racist.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, I don't think what Bennett said was necessarily racist but it wasn't very smart.

6:48 AM

 
Blogger LargeBill said...

No probably not. However, I'm more perturbed by the dishonesty of the criticism. The race baiters don't want to see the situation improve because who needs a Jackson or Sharpton if they are self-sufficient.

7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, there's something else I'm not able to get a handle on. My neighbor. He's white. And he talks as though he's black. And he drives a lowrider. He spends more on his car than he does on taking care of his family. I can feel his bass speakers in my sternum when his car is still two blocks away. At 3:00AM. And he beat's his wife as though it's a cool thing to do. And it's pretty likely that one of these days I'm going to lay his head open with a shovel.

I'm white. Question: Am I a racist?

11:45 AM

 
Blogger LargeBill said...

Uh, based on that story, no. Even if he happened to be a black guy your desire to bust his head open wouldn't be based on race. Rather you got to know him and realized society would benefit from his head being busted open. As long as the beating wasn't based on race, creed, religion or rooting for the wrong team I think you're good to go. And the wrong team business is negotiable depending on how obnoxious a Ravens fan he is.

12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you better hurry Greg or his wife might beat you to it....in any case your neighbor is gonna end up BLACK and blue and I think he then may be eligible to play the race card.

5:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

http://easy-hit-counters.com/