Another cog in the wheel known as the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy to combat the Extreme Left-Wing Media.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Catholics need not apply - UPDATE

There is so much talk about the need for more loving families to adopt that it is really surprising to hear that families are being being turned away. Why are anxious adoptive parents being turned down? Is the father a pedophile? Is mom a drunk? Are they satanists? No it is much worse. Turns out people in Mississippi are being turned down for adopting babies because they are (GASP) Catholics.

UPDATE & BUMP TO THE TOP:

Thanks to Rod Stanton (or more appropriately his daughter) for providing a link to a followup to this story.
After being criticized for excluding Roman Catholics as adoptive parents, the board of Bethany Christian Services in Mississippi has voted unanimously to include Catholic families in adoption programs.
As a naturally cynical person my first thought was this decision was prompted by a threat to cut of public funding. In the end it matters not what their motivation was as long as they changed their policy. Considering the need for loving families to raise children it would be senseless to to turn otherwise qualified people away solely on the basis of religious denomination.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey some of my best friends are Catholics, Roman Catholics not Orthodox Catholics. I assume that they are against the Roman Catholics or are they agains all Catholics? What about Unitarians?
My daughter teaches at St Andrews and this is her paper. I have to rib he about this. I know she will be embarassed and mad.
BTW I have nothing against Orthodox Catholics, just have no friends that are Orthodox. I know folk that are Orthodox Catholic but not well enough to call them friends.
Rod stanton
Cerritos

3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mydaughter tells me that in Miss some hard line Old South Democrzats do not like either Orthodox Catholics or Roman Catholics. Roberts will not be a popular choice of the Democrats in Miss.
Rod Stanton
Cerritos

10:38 AM

 
Blogger LargeBill said...

Rod,

I'm sure there are some people in every state that hold onto old biases. However, I doubt the number of people in Mississippi who dislike Catholics is enough to convince their senators to vote against him.

1:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter's name is Betsy. Now you know what my reason for ging to my favorite wblog is. She teaches science at St. Andrews (an Episcoplaian (sp) school. Her last name is not longer stanton its Chapman and she's going to make me a grandad, again, in 2/06. Brag, boast.
Rod Stanton
Cerritos

1:32 PM

 
Blogger LargeBill said...

Hey Gramps,

Congrats to your daughter on the coming child. How do teachers always plan that to take place during the school year? :-)
Separately, concur with Betsy Newmark being a favorite. Her page is a must read every morning.

8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

http://easy-hit-counters.com/